Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

mental illness and depression

went to church today.  two sundays in a row.  ex is out of town again.  the sermon was about mental illness and depression.  by far, the best part to me was a man who got up and shared a section of his journal from when he had succumbed to the "swirling and ever darkening fog".  i knew how it felt.  everyone around you telling you to buck up.  in my case, my ex called friends and rebuked me.  he shamed me.  he belittled me.  i wanted to die.  i wanted to get out of the way so that he could be happy.  in retrospect, his behaviors prior to my faltering actually helped me to plummet.  now, i know that i should have said, "no, i won't do that."  "no, you can't make me do that."  "no, that's not my job."  "no, that doesn't bring me joy, it depletes me."  "no, i can't do that for you, you need to do that for yourself."  now, i know that it was indeed my responsibility to take care of my mental health.  to guard my heart.  i somehow thought that when married, i shouldn't have to guard my heart from my husband.  but, he was the one in my life who has stolen more self esteem than anyone else.  it still shocks me.  i was unaware.  i thought it was sinful to protect myself from my husband.  i thought that i must be being selfish.  the church helped with that idea.  i kept being told that if i just gave more. if i was just more respectful if i would just behave in a better way.  if i would fix myself up. if i would keep the house neater.  if i would tend to his needs.  if i would.....and i tried.  i have journals of my trying.  and i can hear my heart when i read them.  when i see how i prayed to be enough.  never being enough for him.  never making him happy.  enduring his silence.  and then still wanting sex.  shutting me out.  shutting me down.  showing contempt.  and i should have said no.  i should have told myself that those things were his problem.  but i didn't.  and the darkness swirled.  i remember standing by that dark hole.  it was terrifying.  and only one friend shined a light.  it gave me the direction to the way back to the light.  it was a gift.  not a condemnation.  love demonstrated.  hope shown.  and in time, i found my way out of the dark, but not to health.  not yet.  it took a long time to admit that things were wrong.  horribly wrong. in my marriage.  to face that i was going to have to stand up or die.  literally.  and yet, still, there are those who would never understand.  i wasn't beaten, so it must not have been too bad.  i still shake and shudder when i really visit how things were between us.  mostly, i just leave it in the  past.  but, when i go there, i realize how strong i am.  how determined i am.  how loving i am.  how helpful i am.  and how.....if i wasn't enough....nobody is going to be enough.  because  frankly, i was willing to give my very life.  until i realized that that was sin.  god did  not ask me to give my life.  he already did that.  and my husband...now ex....needed to learn that.  i hope that he learns that the perfection that he desires crushes people around him.  his lack of encouragement destroys hope.  his expectations squash dreaming and vision.  i hope it for him.  and i hope for me that i can continue to heal from those years.  i am better.  but i still face those moments when i hear him.  it kills.  but i turn and look at what is excellent.  what is good.  what is worthy of praise.  i teach myself to be amused and delighted by very simple things.  the sunrise.  the stars.  the flowers.  snow on the mountains.  a child playing in the fountain. my dog playing in the sprinkler.  i find that my gratitude is easily fed.  i find that it grows.  and i find that i heal.  and in my healing,i leave those painful memories to a grave.  unfortunately, i try to dig it up occasionally.  to remind myself of what a failure i am.  and then i remember...doesn't matter.....it's all been paid for and my father says i'm complete in him.  he says he glories in my weakness.  well, he glories in me quite a lot.  i am very weak.  but in him, i can do anything.
blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.