Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Precedent for Happy

Psalm 68:3
But may the righteous be glad and rejoice before God; may they be happy and joyful.
In a court of law things are done and gotten through by finding a precedent....a previous time that a decision was made that is/was like what you are looking for.
So, imagine my lovely joy when I found the word happy in the Psalms.  My husband uses happy against me.  I think that it's considered wrong to want to be happy...by him, I mean.  And, I agree that joy is something deeper, something unchanging and something that abides through all circumstances.  But lookie there, the Psalmist says happy AND joyful.  Yea!!!!
It seems dumb, but knowing that God gets this part of my heart that simply wants to FEEL happy...though I know that feelings are a response to emotions and circumstances......makes me so exuberant.  I wanted to do a little jig.  Scream, "nana nana boo boo," at my husband and wave my verse around.  Mature, right?
But that is how I feel.  And I'm a person.  Not an animal with no feeling, no emotion.  I don't live my life based upon what I simply want each day.  But, over the long haul, I truly believe that if we are walking the path that God sets before us then we will experience happiness within it.  Even in the pain  Because when we learn to be glad and to rejoice before Him, He helps us to find the happy.  He is my peace.  He is love.  He brings joy.  But He even cares about my happiness.  
I like that.  It stills my soul.
My husband seems to be the variety of christian where if you aren't suffering then you must be doing something wrong.  Well, at least if you are everyone else..  He doesn't seem to mind everyone working to make HIM happy.  
On a different note, hearing my kids that remain home begin to vent some frustrations about their dad is a little eye opening.  A little painful.  I try not to dog pile.  Yet, I want them to know that I see.  Hard line.  Want to be an honorable mom who helps them to be kind and forgiving.  But, still, it is interesting how they are feeling freer to speak and to say what bugs them.  And yet, they too, try to be respectful.  I feel badly about their pain.  I don't know how to fix it.  Perhaps I can help my just acknowledging it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.