Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What He Thinks

My husband discounts my ideas and my thoughts.  Always has.  If it's not what he thinks, then, it must not be worth the time.  From yard to house to how to drive.  His ideas are best.  His thoughts higher.  Now, if that "his" was God...then, yes, definitely.  But, it's my husband.  A man.  Mortal.  Human.
Most recently, we had a massive tree limb fall on our house during a big snowstorm.  It is amazingly large.  He decided that he shouldn't move it or cut it up until the insurance people came to look at it because it might have caused damage.  I said, "take a picture and make it into firewood." I came to my decision by looking around me;  the whole city was full of people cutting, bundling, mulching and getting rid of their fallen limbs. But, he puttered around the yard doing other things and left the limb....another storm is coming tonight.  He called the insurance agency.  Left a message.  Apparently.  Because I got a call this morning.  Best course of action?  Remove the limb.  Call a roofer and get an estimate if you suspect there's damage.  Then call insurance with the estimate.  Oh, and keep in mind that there's a $1000 deductible.
He thinks poorly of me.  He is smarter in many ways.  Knows more about politics and civic things.  Remembers trivia in an amazing way.  Stores facts.  Can fix a motor.  He's smart.  But he can't stand that I might be smart too.  He can say it, but when it all comes down to it, he has to do it his own way.
Oh well.  He misses out on knowing who I am.  Not just on what I might know.  I shouldn't be surprised, and I certainly shouldn't be hurt.
What he thinks does NOT decide nor define who I am and what I am capable of.
grace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.