Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Friday, March 11, 2011

A New Regime

I brought my kids Wendy's tonight.  It has become my Friday tradition that if they will do house cleaning after school, then I will bring them a fast food dinner.  We were sitting around the table laughing and joking and having fun.  My daughter suddenly said, "mom, I just can't eat all of this burger."  I said, "fine, go toss it out to the chickens."  My sixteen year old pipes up, "what the heck, what has happened to we have to eat everything?  I remember dad making  me sit for hours with those eggs with milky stuff in them ( don't know what it was.....)and then I was punished because I still wouldn't eat them."  And I replied, "it's a new regime."  Ha.  Don't know why, it just came out.  But it's true.  They have noticed.  I know they can't help it.  I don't do those things I once was forced to do.  If they can't finish the food....well, what, make them eat it until they throw up?  I mean, seriously, they aren't four years old.  And, they don't waste a bunch.  Let's face it, a "value meal" doesn't fit every appetite.  I threw away a third of my burger as well.  With only a tinge of guilt....and of hiding it down in the waste basket. 
What freedom there was in that moment.  To be able to give the gift of who I am without the overhanging shadow of what I am expected to be.  Yes, you guessed, dad wasn't at the table.  He eats with us about once a week on Sunday afternoon.  The rest of the time he works until......oh, 8. 9.  Unless he has another event.  Then he gets off in time to go to that.  He hasn't been home regularly for dinner in a couple of years. 
Actually, this is not a NEW regime.  This is back to the older regime.  This is more how it was when I raised the kids by myself when he worked at night.  Things took a huge downward spiral when we all tried to adapt to his homecoming.  Everything we were doing didn't fit his expectations....and, of course, vice versa. 
Amazingly, the kids have had a fairly stable upbringing.  A few glitches, but mostly ok.  So, I rejoice.  God is good.  Faithful.  He has been what they need.  I am so very thankful to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.