Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Finding My Voice

When teaching writing to students, one of the things that is most difficult to teach seems to be voice.  It is beyond mechanics.  It is inserting one's self into whatever she writes.  It is being a part of what you are writing about even if you aren't writing in the first person.  It's exciting when you see glimpses of writers in their stories.  And, I, at my ripe old age, am finding my voice.  Both in written form and in my life.  I am learning that I have to show through the story or the events.  That I am allowed to not be invisible.  That I count.  That being heard is ok.  And even good.  That my style is like nobody else's.  And that is ok too.  It's even ok if my voice is quiet.  If it leaves some things unsaid.  In writing.  In my life.  It's ok when it's changing.  Growing.  It doesn't stay the same, yet there is a part that should always be undeniably me.
And I had a revelation about what to write.  Modern day parables.  I'm liking it.  One complete....rough draft form...and another under way.  Inspiration comes when I don't stifle my voice.  When I express what and who I am.  I love that.  What a gift.
I found my voice with my husband last night.  I was strong.  I was kind.  I was me!
grace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.