Our lives are a journey that we walk together not in order to become "good christian women," but rather to draw near to God so that we can reflect His light to those around us. Our stories, our paths, our dreams and our message are all unique. But we hold hands and walk boldly, fearlessly......onward...creating joy, hope, faith and peace in our wake.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Hope. Anger. Courage.

"hope has two beautiful daughters; their names are anger & courage. anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain as they are..."  augustine
This quote spoke to me today.  Made me lift my head.  Think of who I am.  Who I want to be.  Easy to fall into the idea that I'm supposed to be simply easy going.  Which, to a degree I am.  But there is this part...this place where hope is....that cries out for something better.  For justice.  For...kindness.  For what the children need.  And, how I long to have the courage to make sure that things do not remain the way they are.   
It took me a long time to admit or perhaps even to realize that my marriage situation made me angry.  That is simply because anger is treated with such disdain in the christian environment.  With fear.  Uncontrolled, it can wreak havoc, but without right anger, nothing bad is ever thwarted.  Nothing evil is ever turned back.  Without the anger first, there can be no courage to face it.  
No.  I'm not advocating road rage...or temper tantrums.  I am simply exploring the idea that hope for the future depends on being able to separate what is good and what is evil.  Being able to first see and then to actually become angry with evil.  And then....going further....not only getting angry, but having the courage to figure out the right and just course of action.
Courage takes prayer, intelligence, planning, wisdom.....and motivation.  I think it must be the anger that motivates.  I know it kicked me in the seat of the pants.  
grace to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make my day. Leave me a comment.